On Saturday 27th September, 24 Ramblers and one very well behaved dog, met at Hungerford Common for an 8 mile circular walk. Hungerford Common, or Common Port Down, is a 220 acre ancient common where the Common Rights have been preserved for more than 6 centuries and cattle still graze there today. This was very evident!
After a warm welcome from Anne the walk started by crossing a part of the common to a footpath with views towards The Wayfarers Walk and Combe Gibbet.
The footpath led us to Trinity Park Stud where we stopped for a short while to admire the horses and a couple of foals. The stud has raised some fabulous racehorses.

Continuing on a path through the stud we walked by Balsdon Farm and entered High Trees Wood before skirting around St Cassian’s College, a catholic youth retreat. We had a good view of the beautiful building which was rebuilt after a fire in 1891.
We walked through Catmore Copse and stopped shortly after for lunch at Titcomb Farm.
After lunch we followed footpaths into Kintbury heading towards The Kennet and Avon Canal.

We passed the house of husband and wife authors Robert Harris ( most recently of Conclave fame) and Gill Hornby (Miss Austen). Its a beautiful Victorian building and was rebuilt on the site of The Old Vicarage in 1860. The original Vicarage had significant connections with Jane Austin and her sister Cassandra who was engaged to a member of the Fowle family who lived there.
We headed back towards Hungerford along a pretty stretch of the canal with the clear waters of the River Kennet running alongside, and then back onto Hungerford Common. At this point a small number of the group returned to their cars while the rest of us visited The Downgate pub for refreshments.
Thank you to those that joined us and for making it a very pleasant walk.

Thanks go to Anne and Hazel for leading this walk and to Hazel for writing it up.
Return to volume index