{"id":"6984794f533dbb4b731188f5","title":"Walk 341 Upper Basildon And A Downpour","path":"walks/scrapbook/by-year/2018/volume-25-jul-to-sep-2018/walk-341-upper-basildon-and-a-downpour","contentMarkdown":"# 🥾 Walk 341 - Upper Basildon and a Downpour\n\nThere were seven on the walk including Julie & Chris from Herts Ramblers who have joined us before. This was our first walk in the rain this summer! Whilst some might be put off (a change from the heat) it was a chance not to be missed by Chris to try out his new waterproof!\n\nBeginning at the village Triangle, we set out on footpaths leading to Knapp Wood dominated by pines, oak, maples and giving a brief respite from the showers. There followed a stretch of country road walking before entering a field, meadow and Berry Copse with its variety of trees including conifers and cypresses. This led to the railway arch and the locked gate. However thanks to Chris we discovered it not necessary as expected to climb over, as the heavy chain and lock could be manoeuvred over the pole - not obvious on the pre-walk!\n\nCrossing the main road to the river Thames we turned left to follow the towpath, taking in the sailing boats, moored barges and variety of wildlife. Passing by Beale Wildlife Park the path continued along the river for some time before leaving to head along a path into a meadow and finishing at St Bartholomew’s church in Lower Basildon.\n\n![Walking through a wet wheat field.](https://www.berksww.org.uk/scrapbooks/volume25/images/wheat_field.jpg)\n\nBuilt in the 1200’s is now a protected building run by the Churches Conservation Trust and makes visitors welcome. Indeed the local volunteer allowed us to sit comfortably inside for lunch and gave us snippets of local history and celebrity appearances. History reveals the resting place of Jethro Tull 1674-1741 of the Agricultural Revolution. Sir Francis Sykes and Major James Morrison of Basildon Park. Plus a monument to the tragic accident of the Deverell brothers from the village.\n\nAfter hearing the chime from the newly restored clock tower we headed off down the road, over the railway bridge to the main road. Turning right past rows of mock Tudor houses we then took a lamp lined driveway into the Hillfield Estate. At the top this forked off onto a bridleway and field edges leading to Harley House and an intriguing antique filling pump - necessitating a group photo!\n\nComing out onto a lane we reached Godwin’s Lodge an interesting 2 bed flint home opposite Basildon Park. For sale, Colin in the group quickly found at a price of £650,000 prompting a discussion on Lottery wins! Taking the Basildon lane and bridleway we followed the walls of Basildon Park - restored by Baron & Lady Lliffe then bequested to the National Trust, a splendid property and grounds which can be visited.\n\n![Church Notice at St Bartholomews Church.](https://www.berksww.org.uk/scrapbooks/volume25/images/church_st_bartholomews.jpg)\n\nWe left the lane entering a trail besides pastures and beech glade, emerging onto a drive then taking a footpath nearby across resplendent wheat fields. From here into woodland and track leading directly back to the triangle.\n\nThere was an optional pub stop at the end but, we agreed to return home to get dry, whilst one couple went on to visit Basildon Park.\n\n![Mysterious pump at Basildon Park.](https://www.berksww.org.uk/scrapbooks/volume25/images/mystery_pump.jpg)\n\n*Thank you to Ann and Kathy for leading this walk, for writing it up and providing the photos.*\n\n## 📸 Back to Volume 25\n\nReturn to volume index","contentHtml":"<h1>🥾 Walk 341 - Upper Basildon and a Downpour</h1>\n<p>There were seven on the walk including Julie &amp; Chris from Herts Ramblers who have joined us before. This was our first walk in the rain this summer! Whilst some might be put off (a change from the heat) it was a chance not to be missed by Chris to try out his new waterproof!</p>\n<p>Beginning at the village Triangle, we set out on footpaths leading to Knapp Wood dominated by pines, oak, maples and giving a brief respite from the showers. There followed a stretch of country road walking before entering a field, meadow and Berry Copse with its variety of trees including conifers and cypresses. This led to the railway arch and the locked gate. However thanks to Chris we discovered it not necessary as expected to climb over, as the heavy chain and lock could be manoeuvred over the pole - not obvious on the pre-walk!</p>\n<p>Crossing the main road to the river Thames we turned left to follow the towpath, taking in the sailing boats, moored barges and variety of wildlife. Passing by Beale Wildlife Park the path continued along the river for some time before leaving to head along a path into a meadow and finishing at St Bartholomew’s church in Lower Basildon.</p>\n<p><img src=\"https://www.berksww.org.uk/scrapbooks/volume25/images/wheat_field.jpg\" alt=\"Walking through a wet wheat field.\"></p>\n<p>Built in the 1200’s is now a protected building run by the Churches Conservation Trust and makes visitors welcome. Indeed the local volunteer allowed us to sit comfortably inside for lunch and gave us snippets of local history and celebrity appearances. History reveals the resting place of Jethro Tull 1674-1741 of the Agricultural Revolution. Sir Francis Sykes and Major James Morrison of Basildon Park. Plus a monument to the tragic accident of the Deverell brothers from the village.</p>\n<p>After hearing the chime from the newly restored clock tower we headed off down the road, over the railway bridge to the main road. Turning right past rows of mock Tudor houses we then took a lamp lined driveway into the Hillfield Estate. At the top this forked off onto a bridleway and field edges leading to Harley House and an intriguing antique filling pump - necessitating a group photo!</p>\n<p>Coming out onto a lane we reached Godwin’s Lodge an interesting 2 bed flint home opposite Basildon Park. For sale, Colin in the group quickly found at a price of £650,000 prompting a discussion on Lottery wins! Taking the Basildon lane and bridleway we followed the walls of Basildon Park - restored by Baron &amp; Lady Lliffe then bequested to the National Trust, a splendid property and grounds which can be visited.</p>\n<p><img src=\"https://www.berksww.org.uk/scrapbooks/volume25/images/church_st_bartholomews.jpg\" alt=\"Church Notice at St Bartholomews Church.\"></p>\n<p>We left the lane entering a trail besides pastures and beech glade, emerging onto a drive then taking a footpath nearby across resplendent wheat fields. From here into woodland and track leading directly back to the triangle.</p>\n<p>There was an optional pub stop at the end but, we agreed to return home to get dry, whilst one couple went on to visit Basildon Park.</p>\n<p><img src=\"https://www.berksww.org.uk/scrapbooks/volume25/images/mystery_pump.jpg\" alt=\"Mysterious pump at Basildon Park.\"></p>\n<p><em>Thank you to Ann and Kathy for leading this walk, for writing it up and providing the photos.</em></p>\n<h2>📸 Back to Volume 25</h2>\n<p>Return to volume index</p>\n"}